Reminder, May 8th - May 12th Is Teachers/Staff Appreciation Week- Click on the What's Happening Tab Below To See How You Can Send A Personal Thank You To Your Child's Teacher
P.S. 160 Full S.T.E.A.M Ahead 2016-2017
The Walt Disney school is moving full S.T.E.A.M ahead this year in Science, Technology, Engineering , Art and Math. This website is here to keep you informed of "What's Happening At P.S. 160".
How To Maneuver Through Our Website: Click on the menu and under each tab find out information about our school.
*Information about the Rules/Regulations of P.S. 160 and the NYC DOE can be found under the About The Walt Disney School tab.-
At the About The Walt Disney School sub tab you will find: 1) Our Mission /Vision Statement 2) Link to the NYC DOE Rules & Regulations 3) Our Parent Handbook where you can find information about the in's and out's of P.S. 160.
P.S. 160's Policies/Rules sub tab you will find: 1) A link to the NYC Chancellor's Regulations 2) P.S. 160's Parent Involvement Policy 3) Cell Phone/ Electronic Usage Policy 4) Grading Policy
*Please check out our Parent Coordinator (Parent FYI).- Here you will find parent resources, information about upcoming workshops, parent/student events, information concerning middle school and links to Pupilpath.com and our Remind text and email system .
* The Class Directory - This is where you can find information such as ; homework assignments, reports and special announcements concerning your child's class.
April/May Parent Updates (Grade Information) & Parent Engagement
What's Happening In School?- Parent FYI Newsletter & Grade Specific newsletters
Parent FYI Newsletter Parent Newsletter.pdf
Kindergarten- April 2017 PDF 2.pdf
1st Grade- 1st grade march-april.docx
2nd Grade- 2nd Grade NEWSLETTER APRIL 2017.docx
3rd Grade- 3rd grade april.pdf
4th Grade- april newsletter.docx
5th Grade- April News Grade 5 updated.docx
Parent Engagement Takes Place Just For YOU! Every Tues. from 2:20 pm - 3:15 pm time is set aside for parents to come in and be engaged in their child's learning. Please check your child's homework folder.
- 5th Grade-May 2 nd-Math Test Prep: Extended Responses, May 9th-Mother’s Day Craft & May 23rd-Constallation Craft
- 4th Grade- May 2nd- Tutoring is provided as long as a student is accompanied by a parent; May 9th- Tutoring is provided as long as a student is accompanied by a parent; May 16th-Literature Fair- book fair projects will be on display in the fourth grade wing ; May 23rd- Data Review- parents are invited to stop by for a close look at their child's classwork and assessments; May 30th- June Expectations- A discussion about the importance of June.
- Pre-K - May 2nd- Families are welcome to create an animal collage with their child to get ready for animal presentations starting the 8th of May in Pre-K, May 9th- Animal presentations! Think ...Where does my animal live? What does it eat? How does it move? Have fun!, May 16th- Plant Unit- non-fiction read alouds ---What are parts of a plant? How do you take care of plants?, May 23rd- Plants-fiction read alouds & May 30th- Create a plant or flower collage with various materials---share with class!
- Parent Coordinator- Girl Scout STEM Program- PBIS Girl's Initiative (K-4th grade) Parents /Child event ( April 25th, May 9th, May 16th, May 23rd & May 30th)
CEC ( Community Education Council ) MEETINGS -
Community Education Council (CEC) meetings are very important and parents/ community members are welcome to attend. It is a great way to get informed about what is going on in your school district. Please click on the link to find out more information about CECs.-http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/CEC/currentmembers.htm.
This Month Our CEC Meetings are scheduled as follows:
All taking place at P.S. 121– 2750 Throop Ave. May 9th– Business Meeting at 6 pm; May 16th - “Community Education Idol” at 7pm .Come out & support our very own Alissa Saunders as she represents P.S. 160 at the Community Education Idol singing competition.
Our last CEC Meeting was held on April 25th at PS 68, 4011 Monticello ave. at 6 :00 pm (Business Meeting) and at 7:00 pm (Calendar Meeting). The main topic of discussion at this meeting was the state of education. What is the plan for our schools under the new Trump Administration. Parent leaders from different schools urged parents to review the "proposed" Bill H.R. 610, "Title l- Choices In Education Act" and to become proactive in the state of their child's education.
Parent Events & Resources
MAY 6TH - CALLING ALL MOMS, AUNTIES, GRANDMAS, BESTIES JOIN US FOR OUR ANNUAL BRUNCH AND A MOVIE AT 10 AM IN HONOR OF OUR "MOTHERS". BABYSITTING PROVIDED!
SAVE THE DATE! PARENTS JOIN US AS WE CONTINUE TO BUILD AWARENESS ABOUT AUTISM ON MAY 22nd WITH A PARENT WORKSHOP PRESENTED BY THE ORGANIZATION PROUD MOMENTS AT 5:30 PM.
Parents join women from the North Bronx as they gather for the 1st North Bronx Women's Rally on May 3, 2017 from 6 - 8 pm. Please click on the attachment for more information. First Annual Women North Bronx Rally.docx
Please click on the Parent 411 tab to find more resources for parents.
What's Happening- How To Be Informed. JOIN OUR P.S. 160 TEXT MESSAGE SYSTEM " REMIND"- CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR MORE INFO.
School Contact Information
P.S. 160's Contact Information:
PARENTS PLEASE NOTE THAT IN ORDER TO EMAIL ANY STAFF MEMBER YOU MUST USE THEIR DOE EMAIL (teachers first initial, last name and then @schools.nyc.gov). The www.thewaltdisneyschool.org emails are not set up for outside emails.
Phone #- (718) 822-8402 Fax # (718) 822 8416
Principal: Lori Baker, E-mail- lbaker3@ schools.nyc.gov
Asst. Principal: Katherine Atiles, E-mail- email@example.com
Parent Coordinator: Kwafi Gray, E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
Test Coordinator's Corner-Important Testing Dates & Information.
Elementary and middle school students in New York State take yearly State tests in core academic subjects to assess their mastery of the Common Core Learning Standards. Students’ test results are one of the factors that schools use to decide whether to promote a student to the next grade. Educators also analyze students’ test results to help determine which instructional standards to focus on, and to evaluate their programs.
The links below take you to pages with more information about each particular test that elementary and middle school students take; you can also read more about how subjects are taught in New York City on the Academics page.
English Language Arts (ELA): Students in grades 3-8 take this test in spring.
- Math: Students in grades 3-8 take this test in spring.
- Science: Students in grades 4 and 8 take this test in spring.
http://schools.nyc.gov/Accountability/resources/testing/default.htm Click on this link for more information about NY State Exams.